Gay & Ciha Funeral and Cremation Service
Licensed Funeral Director
Top Industry Pay, Genuinely Caring Staff, $5k Relocation Bonus
Tired of the corporate funeral home attitude where favoritism and politics overshadow taking care of families?
Come work with us at our family-owned funeral home where you can make a difference, work with co-workers you trust, and where taking care of families comes first. You’ll find that your compassion and care is appreciated again.
Gay & Ciha Funeral and Cremation Service is a local, family-owned funeral home (Est. 2001) based in Iowa City, Iowa that offers a friendly and family-oriented atmosphere, where employees are professional and treat each other with respect.
We believe that it’s not about selling a casket or an urn. It’s about celebrating the life that you wish to remember by blending century-old traditions with personal touches. We’re proud to have a tradition of service that is uniquely caring. Our mission is to provide the highest quality service and for each client family to feel taken care of.
We’re looking to hire a full-time, licensed funeral director/embalmer. The salary range is $46k - $72k
Health & Dental Insurance
Prescription drug coverage
Paid time off
Shared on-call rotation schedule
Professional development assistance
As a Funeral Director/Embalmer at Gay & Ciha Funeral and Cremation Service, you’ll be responsible for providing a source of support, guidance, and direction to families before, during, and after the loss of a loved one.
As a funeral director, you’ll be responsible for coordinating final disposition arrangements of the deceased in a professional, compassionate manner consistent with the wishes of the family and related legal requirements. You will provide sensitive, effective personal service to bereaved family members and friends of the deceased.
• Collecting information during the initial death call from the family of the deceased and working to bring the deceased into the care of Gay & Ciha Funeral and Cremation Service.
• Meeting with immediate family members or designated representatives to provide emotional support and to determine their wishes concerning the care and disposition of the deceased.
• Working to embalm, dress, casket, apply cosmetics, or cremate the deceased.
• Securing needed authorizations for the final disposition of the deceased and securing information for legal documents. The funeral director oversees the filing of death certificates, social security, and military forms and other legal documents, writes the obituary, and assists with the selection of memorial items like register books and service folders.
• Facilitating all arrangements for the visitation, funeral, and burial services with sensitivity to the family and officiant’s requirements including needed staffing, setting up the flowers and memorial items, and taking care of any special family request.
• Following safety policies and procedures.
• One to three years of experience or well-seasoned or somewhere in between, must have full-time experience as a licensed funeral director/embalmer.
• Ability to provide evidence of graduation from a fully accredited College of Mortuary Science and previous successful experience as an embalmer.
• Must be licensed, or license eligible, in the State of Iowa.
• Must possess a current valid driver’s license, a safe driving record and have proof of insurance.
• Strong dedication to serving the needs of others.
• Customer service skills including empathy and sensitivity towards others and the ability to work effectively with a variety of people under stressful situations.
• Possess a positive attitude and the desire to respect, celebrate, and care for a families’ loved one as we would care for our own family.
• Focused attention to detail and solid professional skills in embalming, cosmetics, and restoration procedures.
• Proficient in the use of computers, software, and technology, or willingness to learn, and familiarity with funeral home industry record-keeping procedures.
• Maintains a professional, neat, well-groomed appearance at all times.
• Cooperative team-oriented individual with consistent follow-through, dependability and maintains a harassment-free work environment.
• Able to lift or move objects weighing between 75-100 lbs.
• Ability to push and pull up to 300 lbs. with a wheeled cart.
• Self-motivated to work independently.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
Iowa City, Iowa is located in eastern Iowa and it packs a lot of cultural and recreational opportunities within its college-town charm. It’s home to the University of Iowa
(Go Hawks!) which anchors Iowa City. You’ll find exciting outdoor activities, parks, shopping, nightlife, restaurants, bars, and coffee shops. Iowa City is the county seat of Johnson County and offers residents an urban-suburban vibe. Iowa City ranked 4th in Best Places to Live (2019) by Liveability.com.
Top attractions in Iowa City are:
Devonian Fossil Gorge
Old Capitol Museum
University of Iowa
Nile Kinnick Stadium
Terry Trueblood Recreational Area
We are one location – spend your time with us, not traveling from place to place. This position is full-time. We offer a very competitive pay rate, a $5k relocation bonus, scheduled days off, and alternating weekends off. Position requires the ability to perform all tasks from first call to final disposition. Working with a team as well as working independently is a must.
You must be able to communicate well, show a great attitude, have an exceptional work ethic, and help us serve our community.
If this describes you, we want to hear from you.
Imagine starting the new year with us?
All inquiries kept confidential. To apply send your resume and letter of interest [Subject: F/T Funeral Director] to Dan Ciha: email@example.com
If you’d like a confirmation reply that your resume and letter of interest were received, one day after you’ve emailed them, send a text message with the position you’ve applied for and your name to Dan Ciha, cell 319-325-3680 (text preferred).
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Gay & Ciha Funeral and Cremation Service
2720 Muscatine Ave.
Iowa City, IA 52240