Decatur & Atlanta
Come visit us in beautiful Decatur, Georgia, with easy access to nearby Atlanta.
Gupton-Jones College, Decatur, GA, Webinar: July 2, 2019, 1 pm to 3 pm EST (12 pm to 2 pm CST)
Job Description - Registrar
Management reserves the right to change or otherwise modify the functions of this job in order to meet the needs of the company. Additional duties may also be assigned. Consideration will be given to make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed hereafter are representative of the knowledge, skills and or abilities required to do this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Office of the Registrar supports facilitates and promotes the academic mission of the college by connecting students to the faculty, curriculum and classroom from enrollment to graduation and beyond.
The Registrar’s Office maintains the integrity and accuracy of academic records.
According to the Bureau of Labor Management, "Registrars are custodians of students' records. They register students, record grades, prepare student transcripts, evaluate academic records, assess and collect tuition and fees, plan and implement commencement, oversee the preparation of college catalogs and schedules of classes, and analyze enrollment and demographic statistics."
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direction and management of registration, student information, and records processes related to student information and records including but not limited to the dissemination of student records, coordination of transcripts, accurate verification of grades, provision of accurate transcripts to current and former students, graduation and degree audits for students preparing to complete a credential, and other comprehensive student records services.
- Implement and maintain student-centered workflows that are efficient, effective and optimize the student information system. To enhance the student experience.
- Ensure proper security for the institution’s official student records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), state law, and institutional policies and procedures.
- Develop academic calendars, course schedules, program and related record keeping systems ensuring optimal use of technology and systems for all schools and campuses.
- Work closely with campus president, dean and faculty in various academic departments to determine the educational course requirements for graduation within each degree program.
- Oversee international student visas in the SEVIS system, ensuring compliance with the policies of the college and the Office of Homeland Security.
- Complete regular internal audits of rosters, grades, or other official college documents to ensure full compliance with institution, federal, and accrediting agency regulations and audit expectations.
- Supervise and assist with the granting and distribution of degrees and certification and records processing for licensing exams.
- Work with departments on student awards and commencement activities.
- Oversee and coordinate match day activities for students on externships or funeral site visits.
- Generate reports for campus president, faculty, deans, administrative departments and external agencies as requested and in compliance with FERPA regulations.
- Assure that the student record information on the website is accurate and updated as appropriate. Provide professional development for college faculty, advisors, and other employees to facilitate an understanding of enrollment application, transcript evaluation, registration, grading, attendance tracking, and other student records processes.
- Collect Tuition and fees each term and keep student ledgers up to date.
- Work with campus president on accreditation and state agency reports and campus audits.
- Other duties as assigned by the college president
- An Associate Degree or higher preferred
- A Bachelor Degree or Master Degree is preferable in accounting or social work or similar field.
- 2-3 Years of Experience in a college setting in either the Registrar’s office, Bursar/Business Office or both.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A college registrar should be able to work with a variety of people and have exceptional communication skills, including when collaborating with college departments.
- He or she should be highly organized and be able to quickly adapt to change.
- An attention to detail is also necessary.
- Be familiar with college student information systems.
- Be competent in use of technology and record keeping systems.
- Use Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and other software.
- Ability to coordinate all functions of the position to the satisfaction of the college president
- Be able to pass audits by state, federal or other agencies as required by law or licensing
- Keeping student records up to date.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.